Pioneers settled the area about 1820. The village of Paris was formed on the Old Military Road between Little Rock and Fort Smith, and 5 miles (8 km) south of the Arkansas River. The Logan County seat, Paris, was named after the French capital in 1874. Paris was incorporated in1879.
The villagers constructed a one-story frame courthouse. The town prison was constructed nearly three blocks from the courthouse, and remained the town's prison for many years. The prison now serves as the Logan County Museum.
Visit the site of the last legal hanging in the state of Arkansas. See engine #2522—the sole remaining engine of its type from the True Grit era. Come for the annual Frontier Days Festival in early Fall.
The Paris Chamber of Commerce website has additional details of all their events.
Clockwise from top: Eiffel Tower Park; former Missouri Pacific #2522; site of the last legal hanging in Arkansas, great bbq.
arkanas.com; Charles Melton; Smokin' Taters BBQ; Courtesy of the Arkansas State Archives